Thursday, August 4, 2011

Baby Quilt Beginnings

I got the fabric finally for the 2 baby quilts I am creating for the first babies of my sister and my sister-in-law. Exciting times as they are having the first sets of grandchildren on both sides. Craziness.
For my sister in-law in Australia:
She requested a red quilt, so hopefully she will like this combo of red, aqua, and grey. They are having a girl, and I think this is a good colour combo for the red room she will have. I'm going to make a pattern from Modern Quilting Bee Block Party. It will be the Uneven Coin block, but I'm going to call it a book block since my sister-in-law has a thing for books. Fingers crossed I can get it done in time to send it to Australia with my father-in-law to save on shipping!!

The second one will be for my middle sister. She is having a boy, so I've decided to bust out the brown Teeny Tiny Zoo I've been hoarding. I grabbed some solids from Perth on my road trip earlier today, and now I'm ready to go on it. Just need to decide on the pattern I want to do. Forgive the rubbish photo - need a new camera so I don't have to try to keep using Photobooth on the laptop. Not easy.

There is a brown, blue, green, orange and white solid to match all of the animals in the zoo fabric. My sister is doing a safari theme for the nursery so I think this is a good choice.

I will either be doing wonky log cabin blocks or rectangle blocks like on page 116 of the Winter 2010/2011 International Quilt Festival: Quilt Scene magazine. I've been waiting to try this pattern out, and I think I am always more successful at quilts that are irregular as I can never seem to cut a truly straight line. Just one of those things - I know my weakness.

Actually just looking at Moda Bakeshop I think I might have found something I like called Building Blocks. Love love love. I could alternate the teeny tiny zoo as a center & surrounding fabric. This could very well be the winner :) I might have to do them a bit wonky just to shake things up.
From Moda Bakeshop:

Will try to post updates as I get on with the quilts, but will be limited by the lack of a camera!

No comments:

Post a Comment